Will my hen start to lay bigger eggs as she gets older?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MeghanFaith, Aug 25, 2013.

1. MeghanFaith

MeghanFaith Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    I have a Speckled Sussex hen. She was the first of my flock to start laying. She lays a tiny cream colored egg which is about half the size of my Barred Rock egg's. I was wondering if her eggs will get bigger as she get older?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Her eggs will probably increase in size as she gets older, especially after her first molt. However, some chickens will always lay smaller eggs than others. I have one hen like that; she was one of the first to lay, but her eggs have never been as large as those of my other chickens.

3. MeghanFaith

MeghanFaith Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    I was really wondering. Whenever I looked under the breeds everyone said theirs laid large eggs.
    When do they normally have their first molt.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My Speckled Sussex (hatchery birds from various hatcheries) usually laid a medium-large sized egg. They mostly started around 35-40 grams and maybe hit 55-60 grams (technically 56 grams is large) or so when they got older, don't think I have ever had one that consistently laid large-extra large eggs... the Barred Rocks usually laid larger and more eggs all along. For some reason they have usually been late molters if they do a full molt, usually fall of their second year, a lot just do the lose a few feathers here and there type molt. They are not very good layers compared to production breeds, usually, 3-4 eggs/week at most.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Most chickens go through a complete molt when they are about a year of age. After that molt, their eggs typically increase in size. However, it is likely that your pullet will start laying at least a little larger eggs than she is now even before she molts, so don't worry about egg size right now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by