Will my hen starve herself to death by being broody?

Oceanic109

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
FL
The newest hen I got a couple of months ago who is a OEGB finally laid some eggs and is laying on them. I am guessing they are fertile since the rooster has been doing what roosters do with her so i do not want to get rid of the eggs. Well i was wondering since she just started getting broody yesterday or so if she will starve herself to death if I just keep the food outside of where she is, since i usually put it outside so my chickens can eat. She made her nest under a large umbrella that kinda broke and is laying on the ground even though she has a coop and a couple of roosts she chose to make it under there, but since i don't want to cause anything to make her not broody anymore and its pretty dark under the umbrella I was thinking she wont find the food if i put it under the umbrella so she can eat. My friend who has raised many chickens in his time has told me that the hen should come out from under the umbrella to eat but my little hen has just stayed under their like a statue the whole day yesterday. I do not want my hen to have any injuries in any way since i do plan on showing her, but I'm not sure if she will dehydrate herself and die overnight without me knowing. I also do not want to put food under there since i don't want animals coming under the umbrella and scaring her off. This is my first time with a hen who actually got broody so a little help will be quite helpful thank you.

I also have a other question. The other hen i have who is larger then her but is the same breed has had 3 sessions of laying eggs and such. But she hasn't gotten broody. Wondering if their are any explanations to why the little hen i got, got broody right when she laid eggs instead of this hen. Is it she is just a bad mother? Her hormones aren't working or something? Help would be helpful of course. Greatly appreciate it!
lol.png

Not all breeds tend to go broody. Maybe you have one that does and one that doesn't?

She'll eat once a day or so. And drink. And give you a big poop. Don't worry.

Is she protected from predators under the umbrella?

Not all breeds tend to go broody. Maybe you have one that does and one that doesn't?

She'll eat once a day or so. And drink. And give you a big poop. Don't worry.

Is she protected from predators under the umbrella?

Oh yeah shes safe, the only real predators i have had are some cats and garden snakes. The cats don't come around anymore since most of them got taken away by some people and the garden snakes just stay in the front yard or to a other neighbors yard then my backyard. my rooster must have scared the snakes off i guess hehe, but i never really think garden snakes would be a threat.
yippiechickie.gif

My Chinese Golden Pheasant did starve herself. I put food and water literally next to her nest but apparently she never partook. I was so sad and felt guilty. An experienced breeder said they are notoriously terrible on the nest and as mothers and she learned the hard way too.

Back
Top Bottom