Will my hens be ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by babysniffles, Nov 9, 2011.

1. babysniffles

babysniffles New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    I just got my first hens ever, but when we went to pick them and the coop up, we discovered that while the attached run was narrow enough to fit in the bed of the truck, the coop itself is 2 inches too wide! We brought the hens and run home though, and put them in the run inside the garage for the night, and I'll rent a trailer tomorrow and pick up the coop. My question is, will my hens be okay to sleep on the floor of the garage for one night? There isn't a roost in the run. I've never done this before and I'm TERRIFIED that something will happen.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sure. They should be safe in a locked garage. But you can also stick a broomstick handle in the run for them to roost upon, maybe.

3. babysniffles

babysniffles New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    Thanks! I just went and checked on them and they were all asleep in the corner of the run, huddled together, except the leghorn (already named Alyssa by my five year old) is perched on the feeder. I'll have to clean it out tomorrow. I slid a broom stick in just in case.

4. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Congrats on the new birds! I hope you love yours as much as we love ours. They are quite hardy creatures and will be fine until you get their home finished up.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by