Will My Hens Go Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RookieBreeder, Feb 26, 2012.

1. RookieBreeder

RookieBreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Tennessesse
    My Coop
    I have four breeds of hens, and was wondering if, come spring, they would hatch eggs. I have: - 6 RIR
    - 6 Bared Rock
    - 8 Black Austrolorp
    -3 Ameracauna
    I would love any infromation you have on broody hens. Any breed that go broody, and if my breeds will. Thanks[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Your BR and RIR will be the least likely to go broody. The Australorp MAY go broody. The last of your four breeds could, possibly, go broody.

Silkies and cochins are great bets for getting a broody hen. Just understand that many folks have cochins and silkies and none have gone broody in their flock(s) - even though those folks GOT those breeds hoping for broodiness.

My Buff Orpington has gone broody four times in just over two years. She's not the only one, but she is the one who has done it more than once and successfully raised chicks each time. (Her first hatch was one chick out of five eggs - and it wasn't her own egg she hatched. She gave me my very first GrandChick!)

3. RookieBreeder

Feb 26, 2012
    Tennessesse
    My Coop

Thanks! Ive had Buff's before, and now that I no they gobroody, I wish I wouldve kept them! I know silkies and cochins go broody, and Im wondering if there is a breed thats common, cheap, and matures quickly. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. RookieBreeder

Feb 26, 2012
    Tennessesse
    My Coop

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I've also heard that hatchery stock is less likely to go broody than breeder stock because hatcheries value production most and would cull hens that went broody regularly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by