1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Will my house chicken get lonely?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stina3246, May 22, 2010.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Songster

Mar 25, 2010
    I'm planning on keeping my Frizzle indoor with the run of the house (Well really the run of the room but when we are home he can wander the house. If he is the only chicken in the house will he be lonely? I don't really want 2 house chickens. There is another bird and a bunny in the room with him but they are in cages. Ash (the frizzle) will be free roaming.

2. FeatherMommy

FeatherMommy Chirping

May 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    If you work a lot of house then IMO yes, the chicken will be lonely but if you are a stay at home parent or someone who works from home I really don't think it should be a problem as it will get pretty attached to you and see you as it's flock.

3. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Songster

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I try not to be gone for more than a few hours at a time, but when I do leave I keep the tv on for my house chicken. She likes the animal planet. And I think some kind of background noise is better than silence [​IMG]

I used to do that for my dog back home, too [​IMG]

4. If you're home often, or someone is, then it would be better, as opposed to keeping your lone chicken in an empty house. But I still don't think the bird in quesstion would be very happy. True, chickens are social creatures; but mostly with their own kind. There's a void that even the most devoted human can't fill. At the very least, I suggest getting your bird a buddy. Even if you do spend alot of time home.

5. FeatherMommy

FeatherMommy Chirping

May 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Awesome advice! I never even thought about that...And it would totally work to considering how often I see chickens completely entranced with a tv or computer screen lol

Quote:

6. stina3246

stina3246 Songster

Mar 25, 2010
    Unfortunately I'm gone A LOT!! I work at a theme park so can expect to be gone 15-18 hours a day sometimes. My husband is usually home until about 1pm and I get home around 9-10pm so he'd be alone for at LEAST 8 hours.
    I don't want another chicken in the house. There is another bird in the room though. (a Canary Winged Parakeet) What else could I get that would keep him company.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    I kept a chicken as a house hen for 10 years. I was 12 and she was a day old when we met. I buried the hen one year after I got married at 22. She was kept in my bedroom in a 5x5 cage, walked on a daily basis laid an egg nearly every day until she was 4 years old. At that time she suffered some sort of reproductive infection, was examined by a vet and put on antibiotics, and she recovered. No problems with her health after that except she 'crowed' at sunrise. I left her during the day to go to school and she was fine. She had a host of other pets in my bedroom with her. I kept parakeets, cockatiels, hamsters, gerbils, a rat, occasional snake, lizard, numerous aquariums, and my dog.

Ms. Cluck never seemed to mind me leaving for the day. We had our routine and that was important to her. She was always glad to see me when I came home from school. She was allowed to roam my bedroom as I cleaned her and all the other cages. We took our afternoon walks and attracted quite a few folks who wanted to photograph a fat kid walking her pet chicken on a leash.

After moving to SC, Ms. Cluck saw her first chicken a ( a rooster) when she was 7 years old. The neighbor's rooster met her through a screen door. A terrified Ms. Cluck came running to me and never went near that door again. Ms. Cluck adapted well to being a house chicken and lived a good, long life. She never complained about being alone probably because her room was filled with other animals who kept her company while I was gone. However, I never neglected our routine and she was One Happy Hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by