1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will my mallard leave?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mickeymousears, May 14, 2011.

1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Hi there!

I went to purchase 2 ducks, but the farm supply only had 3 left and I couldn't leave the littlest one all by itself. The cashier said, "it's ok cause this one is a mallard and will fly away anyways; then you'll have the 2 you wanted!"

is this true? I'm scared to bond with it because if it does fly away I don't want it to end up as someones wall trophy (GROSS!!) - so it should be scared of humans???

it's so sweet and actually doesn't mind being held and the 3 ducks get along fabulously - I cant imagine the littlest one picking up and leaving its friends - but I suppose nature has it's own ways.

any thoughts?

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They don't always fly away or if they do, they may come back. There are things you can do to prevent them from flying off such as clipping their wings or keeping them in a covered run. But, if they like you and your food, they may stay all the time.

3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    We got 2 mallards from our local feed store and the people said they would fly away anyway, well they were wrong. As long as you give them food , water, a sleeping area, love and another duck they will hopefully stay put, depends on the bird most likely but I would say it's a 80% chance that they would stay put. Our mallard couple would take off flying around and around our property then land and join their runner friends.[​IMG] Very fun. so if I were you I would love them to death. It may help to have ducks that are less flyers or other ducks that are imprinted on you. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

4. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Mallards raised in your yard won't fly away, or mine never have.

5. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I had a pair of Mallards years ago that never went anywhere.
    I have had a pair for a year, and they fly all around. She hatched out 11 ducklings on Easter Sunday and 3 days ago both parents disappeared. Has me scratching my head. I am sure they are here somewhere, but I dont know where. The babies are fine, just swimming, sunning and eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by