1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Will my mallards ever stop running/peeping in fear?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NYRIR, May 14, 2010.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I've had them 3 weeks. I spend LOTS of time with them.They will eat out of my hand but when i want to pick them up they spaz out.I've seen pics of people with pekins sleeping on them! How do these gurus do it??? I talk to them constantly and when they are outside in the "playpen" and something scares them(other than me)they will herd under my chair.(yes,I actually have a chair in there because I'm obsessed!)Anyway,is there something more I can do,or is this about normal?

2. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    My mallards were always afraid of me and I hatched them myself. Of course they were from wild mallard eggs we found on a boat, so I thought that had something to do with it. I ended up giving them to someone else who just wanted farm birds and not pets. All my other ducks, muscovy, swedish, rouen and appleyard love me and run TO me when I come outside, but the mallards always ran FROM me as fast as they could.

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Give them time and also how old were they when you got them
    I have some that will run to me and some that run the other way soon as the food runs out lol

4. 17roses

17roses Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    From most of the postings I have read on here, Mallards just arent usually pet ducks. Mine will eat from my hand but I dont pick them up unless I have to. I am happy to just be around them and dont expect or try to make them more. If you are looking for a pet duck, I would recommend Pekins or Muscovies. I think that Mallards are just a skittish kind of duck.

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I did read that mallrds always retain some fear of humans,but thought I could get them over that [​IMG] Anyway,they were bought at TSC and supposed to be domestics.They are still adorable and fun to watch,especially in the tub!I don't know as of yet who's a drake and who's a hen but if I have more drakes than one...can I get females of a different breed to match them up? They are pets only and I'm not planning on hatching any.I just don't want any females harassed.Thanks for any info

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi..they were 2 days old when I got them.Tiny,but not so much now!

7. doubled

doubled Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    Will my mallards ever stop running/peeping in fear?

sure they will, in no time at all, they'll be running/QUACKING in fear... [​IMG]

8. 17roses

17roses Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    Quote:Any Duck hen will do, even Muscovies if you are not planning on breeding for babies (babies would be mules). I always keep at least 2 females per male to avoid any roughness and it has worked well so far.

9. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Yes you can My pekin/muscovy and rouen are very friendly so you may want to look along those lines
    On the other hand spend time hand feed them and they should loosen up some but it takes time with Mallards

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My ducks are tame. Two were hand raised. They STILL don't like to be picked up. Look at it from their perspective. Anything that can pick them up can eat them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by