Will my meat hen lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmer_Phil, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Farmer_Phil

Farmer_Phil New Egg

Aug 10, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    When I started all this, I had a half and half mix of laying hens and meat hens. While working out the kinks in the coop, some sort of animal either a bear or racoon, managed to eat all but one of my flock. So I have one chicken left but I think it may have been one of the meat hens, but now we're really attached and the little guy even got himself a name "Lucky".

I'm just wondering if maybe he'll be laying some eggs anyways or is he just a pet now?

Unfortunatly I have no idea what breed it would be, I'm quite sure that probably would have helped.

Thanks in advance.

2. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    Well if your "he" is a she, even if it's a meat breed it should lay, just not nearly as prolifically as laying hens.

3. Farmer_Phil

Farmer_Phil New Egg

Aug 10, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Yea it's a She, I really can't get used to calling it she, force of habit I guess....I'll get it eventually.

Thanks Again.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have a few cornishx....that are laying. I know, we should have butchered them LONG ago...but one thing led to another, and now...well..they are just too old. They do well...eat...walking in the yard...and laying eggs in the nest box on the floor. My buff orp roo bred the girls several times...so I have 7 eggs in the bator....on day 12, developing just fine.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Absolutely...You'd just have to take her to Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig because they're bred for gaining weight easily. Dang, then I must be a meat hen...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by