1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my momma silkie adopt a baby chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by magsrags, Apr 30, 2009.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    OK, my Moma silkie has three, 2 week old peeps she is raising out in the yard. Today I have 1 lone Serama chick piping. Is it a possibility she might adopt this little one if I place him under her at night? I'd keep him inside and make sure he is eating drinking for a the first few days. But I KNOW he will torment me peeping after that for company. I can moniter as I work at home. What are the chances she might take him "under her wings". TIA

Also.....might she be willing to adopt even more as time goes by?

2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    I've read that silkies are great moms so you could try offering them to her. Watch her and the other chicks to make sure all is ok. Good luck [​IMG]

3. prov31gal

prov31gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    ive seen male silkies steal chicks and sit on them. my uncle had silkies for years. they are super moms, they are the most broody and nurturing chickens ive ever encountered.

4. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Its nice that you work at home so you can watch. It may work! Good luck!! [​IMG]

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Silkies make great moms I have given 4 week old chicks to mommas. Go slow and do it at night and keep a close eye on everyone not all will accept other chicks. I have 1 girl who I tried to give 2 week old chicks too and she would not accept them she did not attack them or anything but she would not allow them to come nest with her or anywhere around her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by