Will my Mucovy duc lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by countrymom28, Aug 14, 2013.

1. countrymom28

countrymom28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    I bought a mother muscovy & 3 ducklings I got them in may the babies were hatched on the 10th they are growing fast! I believe i have 2 females & a male the one is a lot bigger than the other 2. so i was wondering if the females including the mother will start laying eggs, and when? the mother hasnt layed since i got her i figured its because she has the babies, but they are almost as big as she is now. will they begin laying this tear or next? any info would be great![​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Babies not till next year, mama should lay again before season is over. [​IMG]

3. countrymom28

Mar 14, 2013
    Thank u for answering! i love these ducks they are so entertaining! oh since my ducks are all related should i avoid letting them hatch out?

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I agree with Miss Lydia [​IMG] The babies won't lay until next year, but you may be able to get more out of the mother duck.
    I would suggest taking the babies away from her as that can deter her from laying again.
    Once you do that, you should see eggs in 3-5 weeks (it depends on the duck though). Make sure you have her in a pen with a nesting area, otherwise she will lay eggs outside and hide them from you. (it also depends on your location. here in Maine, muscovy ducks will only lay April through Sept)

As for the babies and breeding, you can in breed ducks for up to 6 generations before you will see mutations. I would let them breed next year, but then maybe switch out your drakes with unrelated ones. Or keep the one you like most and get another unrelated one. Just to switch it up a bit. But for the most part, a little backyard breeding like that won't hurt anything [​IMG]

5. countrymom28

Mar 14, 2013
    thank u for replying! im in ohio, my mama duck is a great mom i think shed hate me if i seperated her from her big babies! lol glad the breeding wont create any mutations would love more muscovies there hard to find around here i thought bout getting a few fertile eggs for her to hatch to add new ducks to my lil flock maybe ill try that come spring!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That would be a good idea since Scovy's love to brood as much as they love to eat. [​IMG]

7. wafflechicken

wafflechicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    I meant to post this before - That's actually really good news. I lost my favorite bird which happened to be my scovy drake this spring but fortunately he mated his (unrelated) women first. Many of the offspring look and act like him so I was hoping to further that line so this is great news.

Countrymom, where are you in Ohio?

8. countrymom28

Mar 14, 2013
    sorry u lost ur favorite scovy!!!! Im in londonderry OH. how bout ur self?

9. countrymom28

Mar 14, 2013
    My mother duck has began laying she has layed 3 lg eggs! Im so excited!!!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by