1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my new layer's raging hormones make the other girls start too?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elizabethlongwood, Sep 15, 2010.

1. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    We have one pullet out of four who started laying almost a week ago. Have you all found that once one of your pullets starts laying, it gets the others to kick in too? You know how women can "sync up" with their cycles when they are close or live together? Does that also apply to chickens?
    We are wondering how much longer for the others to start laying. The two oldest are 23 1/2 weeks old (a BLRW and BO) and they are the biggest of the four. Our 23 week old layer is an unknown breed, but a bit smaller than the other two, and we also have a 21 week old EE. I know each bird is on its own timetable, but I was hoping to hear that your birds all started laying around the same time:)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You have some breeds (EE, BO) that typically start later than everyone else. Don't know about BLRW. And I doubt that others laying will have much effect, though I also doubt this has ever been studied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by