Will my Pilgrim geese be able to protect their babies from our chickens???

pilgrimbabies

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Hello:)
I have 2 mama Pilgrim geese and 1 papa. They are all a year old. One of the mama's started laying eggs... everywhere! Under the car, in the garage, on our steps... I found 8. Anyway I got super excited and ran out to buy an incubator. I figured she would just be like our chickens and wouldnt REALLY want to sit on the eggs. So I popped them as I found them in the incubator with a number and date on them.
I was wrong:/ She chose to make a nest in an old dog crate and laid 6 more. Ok. Well I cant give her the eggs back NOW cuz Iv been incubating them so they are farther along then the others, right??
Well next mama number 2 climbed in next to her and made her own nest, shes got 12 eggs! They were laid about 10 days after mama #1 starting sitting in her nest.
Oh yes its fun feeding those 2 in the morning, those 2 honking in my face and papa biting my but:/
So, I need help and here are my questions.
Incubator babies - will they be ok? I only have 1 incubator so I cant really change the temp or humidity as the eggs age, like your supposed to. Should I go get another one? Or will the babies be ok with the current setting? 102 degrees and they get dipped in water once a day and taken out of the incubator for 15 minutes.
Mamas eggs - When the first babies start to hatch will they both leave? Should I watch for that? Or will mama # 2 keep sitting on her eggs?
The biggest question - will the geese be able to protect the babies from the chickens?
We had a broody hen hatch 7 chicks and 3 ducklings and the rest of the flock nearly killed them! Funny thing, our rooster Leroy tried to protect them. <3 Hes the man:) The mama tried to protect them too but couldnt be everywhere at once. Poor sweetheart. We ended up having to separate them until they were about 3 months old:/
This was a long post sorry. Any info you could give would be great!! Thanks!!!!
Heather

welcome-byc.gif
Well, pilgrimbabies, I can't answer most of your questions but I can give you my opinion on your last question of whether the geese will be able to protect the babies fm the chickens. In my experience, yes they will BUT it is ALWAYS better to give the momma & babies (along w/gander if hes' willing) a place separate fm the rest of the flock for a week or so anyway. Separate pen, housing or crate or some such for a few days to a week will allow mom and goslings to bond & the goslings to gain some strength before dealing w/the rest of the flock. Then supervise for the first few times when the mom & goslings are reintroduced into the flock to be sure the geese can handle "being parents". I haven't had a chance to have a broody goose w/goslings yet but I've dealt with broody hens, broody Muscovy and broody Call ducks. My Pilgrim gander wanted to eat my baby calls when they first came out....
barnie.gif
.... and the Call duck parents were no match for my gander..... but my farm dogs were.
wink.png
Love those farm dogs!!!!

If the chickens attack the goslings, there is a pretty good chance your gander will kill your chickens.

I suggest that you separate the geese from the chickens until the goslings get partially grown and too big for the chickens to try to bully.

You may need to separate the geese into their own nests, the second may leave when the first ones eggs start hatching. As for the chickens and the goslings, the gander will try to kill them if they attack, so providing a safe separate place for them would be good, or at least water where they can swim away

You must separate the babies from the chickens..they will kill anything young.
I have lost baby chicks and ducklings to even young pullets.
I bought a a dog fence to separate my nesting mommas that keep the chickens out.
Hope all goes well with the hatch!

like everyone else said, the mama wll probably be able to take on the chickens and will more likely kill the chickens.. but you may always have that one little adventurer that will get away from mom and may get to close to the chickens. THe part that concerns me is that you are putting the eggs in the incubator every day as you get them. They will all be on different hatch schedules and as I have found out, it is soooo important to get that humidty up for the last three days. I have tried it with it about 65 to 70 and have never had any luck. Last night I had 3 out of 4 geese hatch ...FINALLY!! but I raised the humidity to about 80 and NEVER opened it. I just dont see how this can work out with you having eggs trying to hatch and som needing turned. You wont even be able to put another in each day for lockdown after the first one is in.... Dont know how you are going to do it, but good luck and let us know how it goes..

Back
Top Bottom