Will my pullet mourn?

Apr 28, 2021
Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
If there are two of you, could not one parent cull while the other has your child elsewhere?
Also, I have to think it would not be the removing the head, or the initial whack with a stick to stop the attack.
What *is* disturbing about your telling is saying your husband repeatedly hit a bird you say was knocked out with the first blow.
Was hitting an unconscious bird necessary? If this is what happened it almost sounds to me like a loss of control, and I too would be disturbed, mortified, and possibly intimidated by such behaviour from a grown person.

Perhaps this happened differently than you explained? Or you could add some of his thought process? People can panic, and we hope if that's what happened it's something we would try to learn from so it doesn't happen again.
He no longer wants to cull and I don’t want to either. So realistically it’s not whose watching the baby it’s whose being forced to do something they don’t want to.
Also the point was that the chicken died not stop the attack alone. He was hit once to stop the attack then again to finish the job. I was not present so I cannot say how it all went down I ran outside when I heard my child screaming and crying hysterically and scooped her up. My husband held up the chicken which was dead. 🤷🏼‍♀️

ElizaMay

Songster
May 11, 2021
He no longer wants to cull and I don’t want to either. So realistically it’s not whose watching the baby it’s whose being forced to do something they don’t want to.
Also the point was that the chicken died not stop the attack alone. He was hit once to stop the attack then again to finish the job. I was not present so I cannot say how it all went down I ran outside when I heard my child screaming and crying hysterically and scooped her up. My husband held up the chicken which was dead. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I am sorry for your troubles.😕
I think it will be important for you and your husband to set the tone and example on how to react to chicken death, and animsl death in general.
Surely it was a startling experience for your child. Children pick up *everything* from watching their parents, including how to react - like when a child falls and cuts their knee you have parents who will run to the child and make a huge reaction which causes the child to think it is worthy of hysterics; then you have parents who eill calmly assess the injury, make sure the child is fine (most of the time they are and it is 'boo-boo status), clean up and comfort the child, and life goes on.
Culling a bird can take place unexpectedly, for instance a chicken can catch a leg or smack itself into a coop wall in panic and injure itself badly enough that it is in irrepairable severe pain, and culling is a kindness. All we can do is make sure that little sponges (and we ourselves) understand death is an unpleasant but unavoidable part of living, we still love one another, and will be there for one another. ❤

Leftcrazybehind

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2021
Well the thing is I could do that but it wouldn’t benefit my daughter because if I put dominance over him my daughter is still below him in his eyes.
Plus as you stated it seems to be solidifying the behavior as okay. And it’s not. They can do serious damage especially to small children.
Oh my kids are grown n live up North. If I had a little one as you do Rooster Cogburn would have been the main ingredient in Coco vin! ( it' d be a small stew since hes a small guy.)

Top Bottom