Will my pullets start laying during the winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dianneS, Nov 4, 2009.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    All of my hens just molted. No one is laying at all right now. They are on their winter break. I just got some new pullets and they are nearly egg laying age. Will the winter weather delay their laying? Will they wait until spring or will they just start laying according to their age and not be affected by the seasons?

2. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I haven't been able to get much information on this subject from anybody when I asked.
    I'd like to know when I can expect my girls to lay again. They are in the process of molting right now. Two look like they're done. Their combs have reddened back up, but no squatting yet.
    I'm sure if lights are being used, that would affect when they start again.

One of my 25 week old pullets just started laying regularly. She laid one on monday and tuesday, skipped wednesday and I found one waiting for me when I let them out this morning. She's laying them on the floor. One other is doing the squat, so she should be starting soon.

Somebody on the forum told me they got their first egg on Thanksgiving.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Some breeds lay better in the winter than others do. I have Australorps and they are winter hardy. What breeds do you have? That would give us a starting point.

4. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    The new girls are OEGB, they haven't started laying yet at all but are close to laying age. My other girls are EE's and a few EE bantam crosses. All of those girls are one + years old, and just molted and don't seem to be planning on starting laying again anytime soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by