will my quails enjoy 'toys'

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lozzy88, Mar 9, 2015.

1. lozzy88

lozzy88 New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    hiya, I'm currently collecting what I need for my quails. I'm stuck on a few things though.

I have been advised to feed the quail layers pellets, which is for chickens. Does this mean that I can give my quail other chicken treats?

I don't want them to get bored, what are the best 'toys' to give them to keep them entertained?

how much grit should I give them and does it have to be mixed with the food?

I'm going to provide a sand bath for them, is any type of sand ok for them?

how often should they be wormed?

Can I use any type of poultry product on them? eg poultry mite and lice powder?

Do I HAVE to give them apple cider vinegar? if I do how often?.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to give my quails a fantastic home <3

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:

3. lozzy88

lozzy88 New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    Thank you for your advise. I have looked at both Japanese and Chinese painted, I'll probably get the Chinese painted. Are they much different to look after?

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Entirely. For starters they are size of a hamster. They are monogamous like doves and will choose one mate for life. They should only be kept in pairs since they are very territorial and more aggressive than you would believe. They are very nervous birds, and will likely never accept you as anything but the food monster. Sadly many people keep buttons in covey settings and colony breed them. This is slowly leading the species downhill. Many breeders like myself will not sell button quail, because of the poor keeping practices people often expose them to.

This site has great button info and her books contain even more.

Here is a size comparison for you.

Adult coturnix hen
    [​IMG]

Adult button quail roo
    [​IMG]

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Just my two cents but Coturnix would probably make better 'pets'. It depends on if you just want to keep them to look at or if you want to interact with them. My female coturnix are especially friendly and I have one girl I bred who is so docile and has been from the very beginning. My girls will eat out of mine or my kids hands (have discovered a very expensive treat to cook up for them - canihua which is related to quinoa but much smaller - they go nuts for it). My daughter picks them up daily and, especially the ones we have bred and raised ourselves, don't struggle in the least. Their Dad is also very docile and easy to pick up. Just depends if you want a pet or an ornament.

6. lozzy88

lozzy88 New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    I definitely want a pet. I have been looking for the Japanese quail all afternoon and can't seem to find any that are ready now. I'm in the uk and it seems there aren't many breeders around me. I'll just have to be patient and wait till the end of March. I'm so excited! Thank you for your help! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by