Will my recovered banty stop being picked on by RIR?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carrie Lynn, May 18, 2011.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My banty was ill, and is now recovered.
    My LF RIR started being mean to her when she was ill, so I took her inside for hospitalizatio as soonas I noticed this. I understand the dynamic of the strong ganging up on the weak.
    Whenever I try to let them out in a pen together the RIR is so mean and frightens/hurts the banty.
    My BA has not acted any differently towards the banty the whole time (nice bird).

Question: Will she ever stop being pecked/attacked by the RIR? I plan to re-introduce her as though she were a new bird aas soon as the weather warms.
    Is this nasty streak common w/ RIR? She's never been nasty to me. Although, she must be bothering the gentle BA as the BA nailed the RIR's comb one day. I've noticed the BA asserting herself more over "her" treats lately. This never happened before...
    What might I expect? The RIR had been attacking the ill Banty around her eyes, I can't let this go on! I can't ever imagine the Banty resuming her roll as head of the pecking order again. Unfortunately the coop and run is probably not large enough, I plan to put in branches for the banty to fly to that will be a challenge for the RIR. I'm so upset.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just one Rhode Island Red? Why not try this. Remove her for a few days, put her in chickie jail. It will knock her down a few pegs on the pecking order. When she is introduced back, she will likely be singing a different tune.

3. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I've never considered chicken jail. I actually gave away a hen a week ago cause me and my wife got tired of her being so mean.

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Chicken jail makes sense, I can't have her hurting my little hen.
    I'll try it if this behavior continues!

Thanks all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by