Will my RIR stay broody? Even after a failed Dutch?

woodshen

Chirping
5 Years
May 7, 2016
Northern Minnesota
So I have a RIR who went broody well over a month ago. Her first batch of eggs she was setting failed. After 30 days I decided to make the hard decision to discard her eggs and I had hoped that she would mellow out (she's been the comedic relief on the farm lately with her crabby disposition and the way she acts for the 45 minutes she's off her nest)and just go about life normally afterward... But she didn't.
Instead, she moved to a different nest, belonging to my Americauna hen. My husband suggested i move them and her to her usual box and let her sit on them because, after further investigation, he had found that all the Americauna eggs were in fact fertilized where the RIR eggs were hit or miss. He suggested she hatch those instead. But I was skeptical that she'd stay on those eggs. She was already in her 35th day setting at that point.
Today marks the 7th day of this dutch. Do I hold out hope that she'll sit these eggs until they hatch? Or do I get my incubator ready? I found very conflicting information on RIR. I wanna say she is not a production RIR because the very small town local hatchery only carries meat hens labeled production. The rest aren't labeled in any such way.

Hens will stay broody until they are broke, they hatch out a clutch they can raise, or their body reserves fall so low that they can't stay broody any longer.

If she's still got some weight on her she should continue to sit, especially if the eggs are viable. They can feel alive eggs compared to eggs that aren't developing and will become more determined generally.

Broody traits are and individual thing not necessarily a breed thing. What you should be ready for is her not being a good mom. Not every broody knows what to do with chicks, and some first time moms will attack and kill them, so be ready to pull the chicks and brood them yourself. Hopefully she a good mom.

Thanks! It's day 15. I figure on day 17 I'll start getting a pen ready just in case. She still seems pretty determined! And the eggs I've candled have been developing on track. Now I've just gotta hope she'll be a good mama when her eggs hatch.

Back
Top Bottom