Will my rooster be able to regain his place in the flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flock Leader, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Hello there,

I lent one of my roosters to a friend, for breeding. He is supposed to return the roo in about 2 months.

After he drove away, I was left thinking whether this was a wise move. I mean, my two roosters were getting along fine, with one established as a dominant male and another accepting that's just the way things are. The one I lent to my friend was the non-dominant roo, but I figured he should do fine in the other flock because my friend only has hens.

The question is, after my friend brings the rooster back, will my dominant male accept him back in the flock? Should I expect huge rooster fights?

2. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    He will be fine with your friends flock but on his return expect him to have to reestablish his place in the pecking order.

3. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Chad-o, that rooster's place in the pecking order was low anyway. I just hope they don't kill him when he returns!

4. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    When he returns keep him separate but where they see each other for a week or two. Then try to introduce him to the flock. That is the same way you should introduce any new bird.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by