will my rooster become aggressive?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swsscott, Mar 2, 2014.

1. swsscott

swsscott Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    Is every rooster different? Will it just become an aggressive rooster with time. Right now I had him eating out of my hand and he still fears me. I was trying to pet him. He has been crowing and recently getting bigger. He hasn't shown any aggressive behaviors that I know of. I know ultimately he is an animal who needs to submit to me so that he doesn't attack me but am I just lucky or with age is he going to test me more. Haha I just wanna be friends.

2. As long as no one physically hurts him,yells at him or throws things at him he should stay friendly. We had a rooster get aggressive from someone waving sticks at him so he began to become aggressive so that does it too.

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Friendly roosters may stay friendly or they may lose their fear of you and decide that they can dominate you. For this reason I don't make fiends of my roosters. I ignore them, I don't feed them by hand or try to hold or pet them and if they are in my way I walk thru them. Don't yell or even act like you see them just go and make them move out of your way. As long as you stay calm they usually just move out of your way.and go on about his business .About the only thing I do with my roosters is maybe say hey Red so they are used to my voice.
    If you want to spoil the girls and make lap chickens out of them go ahead, but I try to keep the rooster just a little bit Leary of me and maintain a kind of you leave me alone and I"ll do the same attitude. Roosters don't think like hens and never will so I try not to treat them the same. I've had better luck just letting the roosters be roosters and spoil the girls.

4. swsscott

Feb 8, 2014
    Haha yah I just haven't bought the hens yet; so I have been spoilying him. I guess I'll continue what I'm doing and if starts to think he's dominant I'll grab him and show him I'm the alpha rooster.

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    The problem with that is grabbing him and making him know your dominant isn't always a long term fix, often times it isn't. In my experience when one goes mean its best to butcher him because they tend not to go back. Good news is in my experience far more roosters turn out friendly than mean. Mine are protective of the hens and will come see what's up if we grab a hen and she squacks but they don't attack us and if one does it will be the last thing it does.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How old is this young roo, anyway? If he's not even five or six months old yet, you may still have a few uncertain months ahead where he could go either way. As a rule, when the hormones kick in, usually around six or seven months, you will see some testing of limits.

My current roo Izzy, a well-behaved nine-month old Buff Brahma, got it in his little mind around age six months to attack my feet and hands with his beak, apparently believing I suddenly had turned into a threat. Up until that time, he was cuddly, easy going, and never showed a bit of aggression. At the first peck on the feet, I pushed him to the ground and held him there until he became calm and still. We had to repeat the process a few more times in a week, and he's been well-behaved ever since. Discipline is extremely important the minute a roo shows signs of aggression.

Even though he seems back to his cuddly self, I resist trying to show him any affection because many roosters confuse these human overtures with aggression, and it sends mixed signals. While roosters are pretty smart, they can't be expected to nuance displays of human emotion. You need to keep your behavior as simple and as consistent as you can. That goes for all the humans in your household that have exposure to the chickens.

Hens are another matter entirely. Spoil them, hug them, hold them, kiss them. It won't matter. Most soak it up and demand more. But with a rooster, you need to treat him with respect and distance. They can get the wrong idea very easily, and then you have the problem of trying to undo the damage.

7. akelley

akelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Conroe, TX
    My rooster just started testing me last week, at six month old. He began approaching me and pecking my boots, and attacking my boots if I walked toward him. I started kicking him in the chest every time he attacked my boots and then walking straight toward him until he turns and walks away from me. We only had to do this for a few days and now he's back to ignoring me, which is how I like it.

I have also had to discourage him from dancing for me, since that is part of the dominating mating ritual. It's funny, but not allowed here.

8. swsscott

Feb 8, 2014
    Yah now that you guys have pointed out his rooster activities I make sure he knows not to try anything. I saw he flap his wings and stand his ground so I walked through him so he ran away. I thought he was flapping his wings because he is nervous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by