Will my rooster ever crow?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mychookschick, May 19, 2011.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Unlike most people, I am dying to hear my little Toot Sweet crow! He is about 10 months old and still hasn't done anything!

He is, however, a Mama's boy! He is missing an eye (he was like that when I got him), but he comes running to me when I am giving treats! He also walks on a leash like a gentleman... I have yet to take him anywhere on it, but he walks around the yard!

But, (back to the real subject of this post) I want more than anything for him to crow... I hear about people who's roosters start crowing at like 7 weeks! Not 10 MONTHS! He has been stretching like he is going to crow for months (about 4, I think) but nothing ever comes out! Ahh!

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Maybe try to get the sound of a rooster crowing and play it in front of him. Maybe that will influence him to crow?

And how did you attach a leash to your rooster? Did you make him something like a harness?? [​IMG]

3. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Well, my other rooster already crows so, he already knows the noise, but he just doesn't do it!

No, I didn't make it... I just bought him a dog harness!

4. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    i must be crazy here but i like the sound too...my roo didnt til 6 1/2 months but i had to work with him. I would record a roo crow on my phone and play it to him...funniest thing ever!!!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I think you just answered your own question. You have another roo. Some roosters, not all, but SOME, won't crow much with another more dominant rooster around. Hardly heard a peep out of my now alpha roo before I rehomed his more dominant brother.

6. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    Well guess I'll join the crazies too because that is one of the things I love the most is to wake up and drink my coffee in the morning and listen to my boys announce the new dawn to the world!!!

7. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:I think you just answered your own question. You have another roo. Some roosters, not all, but SOME, won't crow much with another more dominant rooster around. Hardly heard a peep out of my now alpha roo before I rehomed his more dominant brother.

Hmmm... Ok! The other rooster that I had (second in command, I sold him) he always crowed. His was deafening (sp?)! I will never forget that crow! Oh, goodness!

But anyways, I was wondering if it had something to do with his not having one eye? Would that do anything to his ability or urge to crow?

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I too love to hear my rooster's crow. I had 1 rooster I thought would never crow. There were 2 other roo's with him. Now he has his own flock and he crows all the time.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:^^^^ That. They like to crow when they have "rank". Having only one eye may keep your boy from achieving rank as quickly.

10. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My Cochin wa ssove ra year old before he crwoed and he was very dominant to the other roo who crowed enough he ended up in the crockpot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by