Will my rooster ever like hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pixiechick, Aug 22, 2008.

1. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I have a Polish rooster who only likes the one silkie pullet he was raised with. He keeps my other three hens run off. Sometimes he won't even let them come out of the house. They all hatched back at the beginning of April. Will he grow out of this and be at least cordial to the other hens? [​IMG]

2. pixiechick

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    Anybody?[​IMG]

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Well, obviously, he has a special friend. But my guess would be that eventually he'll take to the rest of the flock. Especially if he is the only rooster.

Our Golden Campine roo mates with all the hens. He roosts next to our Rhode Island Red and Delaware hens at night. During the day he hangs with our White Face Black Spanish hen.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  4. pixiechick

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I hopse so. Right now, all the other hens are afraid of him and I was afraid I would have to get rid of him.

5. jose408

jose408 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    san jose california
    Well you see you dont know what a rooster wants there is sometimes where a rooster needs his own time and sometime he doesnt just let him he would mate with them even if he doesnt like them and if he hurts any of your hens than eat him but dont worry just keep eye so he wont hurt them

6. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    It will most likely happen while you aren't there to see. I think they plan it.

7. pixiechick

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    OK. I feel a little better. That's sorta what I thought. I'll keep an I on him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by