Will my rooster ever man up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickens29, Aug 22, 2016.

1. chickens29

chickens29 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    New England
    Just a quick question. I have one silkie rooster (Juniper) who's very big and docile and is 7 months old. He doesn't fight and he's only a high rank among the pullets. He's ugly but not like my other roosters I've had who are aggressive so I want to keep him.

He's the only rooster in the flock right now. Has anyone had a similar rooster in their flock before? I want him to mate with my older hens but right now they'd just attack him and he runs away.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He hasn't proven himself to the older girls, he's still a bit young yet maybe....will take time.
    How long have the other cockbirds been gone?

3. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    That is normal for his age, especially if there was a dominant rooster in the flock, I guess he will mate with the hens in a few weeks "the hens themselves will demand mating".

4. chickens29

Dec 15, 2015
    New England
    OK thanks!! I got rid of the other rooster (his brother) about a week ago when this thread was posted.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This thread was started 2 days ago........so it will probably take more time than that, especially if the other cockerel was dominant.
    Was the cockerel raised with the flock......or how long have you had him?

6. chickens29

Dec 15, 2015
    New England
    Both of them were raised with the flock and I've had them since day 1 as chicks

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Give him time, it could take days....or weeks....before the older girls might submit to him.

8. chickens29

Dec 15, 2015
    New England
    Alright awesome :D hopefully its soon because the pullets his age just started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by