Will my Rooster ever settle down or will my hen get mad and chase him.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HeatherLynn, May 31, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok I have a handsome, handsome roo who is so rough with the hens. He is HUGE and my hens are not really. They are supposedly New Hampshire reds. Anywho to tell you how bad things are in an hour time frame while we sat in the yard he was on them at least 30 times. There are only 4 hens. He is so dang rough too. They were finally looking pretty ( when we bought them they were a tad rough looking and skinny) and he has them all rough looking again. Broken feathers, bald heads, and so nervous. They surround him when outside the coop so they get it even worse then. Its horrible. Our roo that died was not like this at all. He was protective of them, and he got on them too but not like this. Will this boy ever calm down.

My husband is taking this very personally and is ready to pull out the axe. He is not up to tolerating him abusing our hens this way. The hubby is not really fond of the hens but the roo really is that rough. Chris got super upset and sat in the yard tonight giving the roo the evil eye and going after him if he even looked like he was about to jump them again. So will this roo calm down, can I calm him down, or does he need replacing? Is this normal? Will more hens make the situation better. Bigger harem, less time to torment the individuals

Here is a pic of my boy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I'd say more hens would make him less likely to single out those girls... How old is he? If he's still a "teen" those horomones will settle with time.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How old is he? They usually settle down when they get out of the teenager phase, but not always. If he is not a teenager then I'd say he probably won't outgrow it. More hens would help. Some roos do fine with four hens (or even 1-2) but a 1/10 ratio is better. Good luck, I just sent four to freezer camp and it is much nicer around the coop.

ETA: I type too slow! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    He was a free roo I was given. She said 9 months to a year old. That was about 3 months ago. I just am not sure which way to go with this guy. If I had a spot to isolate him atm I would but I have all those coops in use with teenage chicks and goslings atm. He will end up in a dog crate if he keeps up though. Maybe keep him separate in a crate until he settles down. I don't want him killing one with his big butt. He really is huge compared to them. He is easily double their size.

Should I worry that the hen lost her dinner. I never saw one upchuck their food and drink before. He was being pretty dang rough though so I am hoping thats all it was.

5. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is he feather legged? Maybe he is a Marans, they are big birds.

6. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    His legs are feathered and he is HUGE. My husband had to expand the chickens coop door for him to get in and out of, before that I had to let him out mine. Big butted brute he is. I really was hoping to get babies of him but if he keeps the girls in this shape. Gah. I do have at least 6 teen hens coming along so relief is on the way. If he does not work out though I have another possibly nice one in the teens area. I don't know I really would like him to work out. He is a beautiful boy and I think he will protect them if he doesn't kill them first.

7. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I'd build him a cage of his own until/if he settles down. You could still turn him out with the girls once in a while to breed if you really want the babies.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A seperate pen with occasional conjugal visits would work. Part of one day a week with the hens would assure fertile eggs. If possible, it would probably be better to replace him with a smaller rooster. It is probably only a matter of time before his toenails or spurs start damaging the hens backs. That is a truly nasty sight.

9. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Apparently he ticked off one of the gals because she went after some rooster butt today. He tried to hop on and she slipped away and then attacked him. Imagine a tiny little laying hen chasing a Rooster bigger than any goose we ever owned around the run. Ooo she must have been steemed because she kept at it till he had to lay in the shade and pant. YAY hens!! finally

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by