Will My Rooster Hurt The New Babies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by turningchicken, Nov 15, 2010.

1. turningchicken

turningchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    I have incubated a few batches of babies, but this is the first time one of the hens did it for me. I knew she was setting on 3 tiny eggs, but it has been so cold here that I did not think they could hatch... Surely she hasn't kept a 99.5 temp and 55% humidity with our nights down in the 30s!!!! But tonight I hear little chicks. Will she be able to keep them warm? Will the daddy and other hen in the coop hurt them when they come out? I think it is easier to do it for myself, but I would love to see her raise her babies. Would appreciate any advice.

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I would move them ASAP. I had a hen hatch one egg once, and before it was even all the way out of the egg, the other hens had made a feast out of it. [​IMG] The next time, I moved her after she had been sitting on the eggs for 10 days, and she raised 4 beautiful chicks in an old chicken tractor. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I agree, it is always a good idea to move a broody momma and her chicks. They may be small but the other chickens will.probably see them as food or an addition to the pecking order. Then they will act accordingly.

4. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    How do we have ANY chickens left if this is what the flock does to babies??

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:I guess it depends on how momma is protecting the chicks. Thing is she can't be there all of the time. Would be a survival of the fittest perhaps. Moving momma in my opinion helps the survival rate.

6. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    I only ever use hens to hatch eggs, and I have never ever separated any broody hen from the flock, and neither have I moved any newly hatched chicks. So far, I have had no problems at all apart from the odd light peck when one of the chicks runs to the wrong mom. Right now I have three hens raising their chicks, and once again, they're with the rest of the flock. Also, I have never seen any of my roosters being mean to the little fuzzy butts.

I know chickens are not the brightest animals, but I'm sure most hens and roosters know what a chick is:D

7. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    if you cant remove her block her off! quick! lol

8. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I haven't had problems with other chickens hurting chicks, but mine free range so they have plenty of space.

9. wildrose41

wildrose41 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Not sure if this person is still around to answer this, but how big of an area do you have or are they free ranged? I have 4 hens and a rooster. They are only 3 months old and have an area of 10 x 20. I may allow them to roam my backyard later on, but am wondering about keeping the rooster at all. I sure would love to have babies. [​IMG]

10. pkreft

pkreft New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    My rooster killed the only chick that hatched last year. It was so sad, I will not take that chance again. I have a hen that has 4 hatched now and another is sitting on eggs. I am keeping them separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by