Will my roosters be fine roosting in a tree?

Chickadee-23

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
South Carolina
They been free ranging for almost 4 months now and they always roost up high in a tree they have house, but they would always roost in tree will tonite we are having freezing rain and snow and im worried about them i cant reach them with a ladder to move them out so im just wondering what will happened to them? They are in a evergreen tree its a large oak tree filled with leaves so maybe the leaves will protect them i hope, and another question im planing on getting them hens they roost in a house, so when i bring them i was wondering will my roos roost with them in the house? Thanks

If you are worried you might want to leave a light on just incase they change their minds on the tree but in most cases the roosters will be just fine and when you bring the hens the Roosters will follow or you might have all the hens in the trees also ....
smile.png

Remember it is their natural instincts that tell them to roost in the trees
thumbsup.gif

gander007
old.gif

My last flock loved to roost in the trees. I had a mixed flock and nearly all of my barred rocks began roosting up in a cherry tree right behind one of the coops that I had by the time they were about 9 months old. Even in the dead of winter. We ended up with the coops remaining nearly empty because the chickens just liked the outdoors better. It didn't really hurt them and it became a nightly routine to watch them fighting over the highest place. Of course those at the bottom of the pecking order knew they had to stay down further.

As for future plans, your hens may decide to follow the roos' lead but that will be okay. Mine all still laid their eggs in the coops and all and there were the ones who were more of the loner types that still slept in the coops. Just let them do as they wish. They'll do it whether or not you like it. ;)

We used to "lose" some of our chickens at night. We would search the yard and never find them, until one night ... we looked up! There they were, about five hens, in our orange tree. We got them down and over the course of a week or so finally convinced them the coop was safer.

If you can't get your roosters down, then don't worry. They will probably be fine. The down under their feathers should keep them dry. The only worry would be frostbite on combs, wattles, and feet.

Good luck!

Thanks they are fine, i think one has some frostbite on his he hasnt move much, i have a heat lamp on for them thy wnt under it, maybe thy will warm up in few mins its not much snow like couple inches, its supposed to warm up about noon today the sun will come out so they should be good

Hello,
My name is Lila Ann & my rooster is a wild asian jungle fowl who happened to wander into my yard & now i am caring for him & just love him to death his girl henrietta passed so its just me & henry, Henry & Henrietta roosted in the tree all their lives since they wandered & even tho Henrietta has passed henry till this day roost in our tree..However about a week & a half ago i notice henry flies up the tree every nite around 6:30 pm.. Then he seems to settle in only to fly back down & again flys back up to the same roosting area..Lately he has me worrying as to what might be the cause of this behavior..I also need to inform u all that we do have lots of stray cats that plays hard and occasionally try to climb the bottom of the tree & i don't know if henry is being spooked by their play..And lately we've have been having strong winds so every time he flies up to roosts i'm not sure if his balance is being thrown off by the wind or i'm not sure if he is comfortable with his roosting area He has never displayed this kind of behavior only lately when the wind is very strong..I am deathly afraid of him finding a new roosting area & leaves me b/c he's never ever left our home & he's always been roosting in our tree Any info would be greatly appreciated! Please help! Thank u!

Much Regards,
Lila & Henry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom