Will my roosters fight to the death????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrzyChicLady, Nov 22, 2010.

1. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    [​IMG] I have a Cochin and a Jap roo that have been fighting non-stop. Yesterday I seperated them and locked the Jap up but today they are at it again. They both have injuries on their face. What should I do??? Will they stop? Will I have to choose one and get rid of one?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The non-game breeds will not ordinarily fight to the point of serious injuries. The pecking order has to be settled so let them work things out but keep an eye on them in case one of them does chance to become seriously injured. If it does get to that point chances are good you're not going to be able to keep them together.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    They will fight until one of them concedes. If they are both just as hard headed, then yes, one will kill the other. I don't know about cochins, but I have been surprised by the tenacity of a Japanese rooster. If you separate them, you will have to keep them separated. Every time you put them back together they will start all over. If you choose not to let them battle it out (there will be some injuries even in a quarrel) then you will have to keep separated or cull. How many hens do you have? Some times the answer is more hens or more space.

4. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    I think we have plenty of space so I think more hens would be the answer. The two roos have stopped fighting for the time being. Now they just walk around the yard crowing at each other.

Thanks for the advice! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by