Will my roosters protect the hens from hawks or owls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ArekE, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ArekE

ArekE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    So i have been noticing that the hawk and owl population has been growing near my house and it is starting to make me worry. Right now i have two roosters that seem more protective then the others and i am just wondering if it is likely that they would fight instead of going and hiding in the coop. One day last April i came home to a dead hawk in the yard and it was covered in wounds, and there was lots of feathers missing. One of them still thought it was alive and was fluffing up his neck feathers. I dont know if it was one of them, or a stray cat but do you think it is possible for a rooster to do that? The hawk was a medium sized Red-tailed.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Rooster rarely "protect" in that sense. They sound an alarm, perhaps, but often the females are just as likely to alarm as well. In any case, birds of prey like this are very deadly killers as they too must eat to survive.

A rooster, if he is typical, won't do much else except alarm and run for cover himself. If he does volunteer to die, the owls and hawks are often glad to oblige him.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    The best protection is prevention.

Plantings that provide shelter and camo from aerial predators is best. Make YOUR presence known by making frequent trips outside.

White breeds, I believe, fell out of favor since they're so easy to spot from the air. Other breeds like the Barred, Cuckoo, Partridge, Browns and Speckled are less so.

Owls are nocturnal and not likely to take a chicken but may. Keep the coop door closed at night.

Also a run for chickens to be out during the times when you won't be home. You'll find many designs and ideas here.

Interestingly the term "Free Range" only means chickens have access to the outside. It does not mean they're out roaming about in the yard. [​IMG]

I wish you well,

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by