Will my San Diego Barred Rocks adjust to Austin climate?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by huntersmoon, Aug 20, 2010.

1. huntersmoon

huntersmoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    Hi,

We are moving from the San Diego area back to our home town of Austin. We have a small backyard flock of 7 barred rocks and a rooster (not sure what kind) and plan to bring them with us. I have read pages and pages of the actual moving advice, which is wonderful, and I may have move questions soon. However this is to ask in general, will the chickens adjust to the Austin climate? A family friend who has had chickens for 30 years told me that my chickens, having been born and raised in the wonderful San Diego climate, will die in Austin. Not necessarily from the move but from the hotter weather in general. It only reaches 95 here for about a week out of the year, and of course in Austin it can be 100 from May-October. I've read that heavier breed birds fare better, but wanted to check here. Obviously I'll find a home for them here if the Austin climate is going to stress and kill them.

Thanks
    Shannon

2. mrsp523

mrsp523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    Wish I had an answer for you. Try reposting this again if you get no responses soon...so it stays at the start of the thread. If not try using google. Good luck with your move.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I dont' know the answer either, but it will be interesting. You're going from a very mild climate to one that can get pretty hot.

4. huntersmoon

Apr 26, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I may call my state vet office and see what they have to say, if folks here don't know.

Shannon

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think it depends on what time of year you move. If you moved, say, today, your birds would be going from 73 degrees in San Diego to 100 degrees in Austin. That's likely to stress them quite a bit.

But if you move at a time of year when the temperature shift is less drastic, I think your birds would be able to adjust and gradually acclimatize to the Texas temperatures by next summer. You'll still need to do the usual things people here to in order to help your birds cope with the heat. Don't build a closed type coop for them in full sun in Austin, that's for sure!

It's sudden temperature shifts that are really hard on birds, I think.

6. huntersmoon

Apr 26, 2008
    We'll be moving in two weeks, however for the past 2-4 weeks we've had our "summer" temps of high 80s and low 90s. I've done the weather forecast along our route and so far it looks like temps are between 88-92 so about the same as we've had here recently (we're taking the north route through Flagstaff and Amarillo, which is 10 degrees cooler than El Centro through El Paso). I am hopeful that as you suggested, by next spring & summer they'll have acclimated.

Thanks
    Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by