Will my shipped eggs be ok???? AHHHHH!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rilly10, Jul 1, 2010.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    So I have 12 eggs on the way that shipped out today (Thurs 7/1). They were planned to ship Tues 7/6 but went out early by accident. The shipper has been very nice and said with the holiday weekend if they don't get to me by Sat to still give them a shot, but she will reship.

My problem is...I only have 2 brinsea minis (fit 7 eggs each). One is open so 7 I am not worried about....but the other has eggs in it that are not due to hatch until Thurs 7/8. This is why I did not want them to ship yet other than the holiday weekend.

What should I do? Set the ones I can fit and then once the others hatch set the rest, or should I wait and set them all later? How long can they sit before I set them? Also, I am not sure where to store them. With the AC on our house is set tp 70. Is that too warm? We don't have anywhere cooler than that (other than the fridge LOL!).

HELP PLEASE!!!!

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I would set what you can when they arrive (let them settle at room temp for at least 8 hrs though of course). The rest of them would do fine in your closet until you're able to set them. It's usually cooler in there than the rest of your house - be sure to rotate the position of the box that they're in at least 2x a day until you can set them. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If the seller is honest and the eggs were picked fresh today, they can generally sit for 10 days from lay date before viability (usually) starts to decline. If you have a basement area or a safe room with a tile floor (maybe a bathroom?) the eggs may be cooler setting there. Otherwise you may be able to utilize a box with a cold pack inside (or on top is probably better) of it to cool the eggs to an appropriate temp for setting (though this could get tedious since it should be checked with a thermometer and changed often for consistency). Then again, 70 degrees may be ok, I'm not sure. When you set them, just make sure they are pointy side down and that the carton they're setting in is on a tilt. Rotate the eggs as if they were in an incubator, an odd # of times per day until you incubate. Do let them all settle for 6-24 hours before putting any in the incubator, and if you want to put 7 in your second brinsea first, that is ok. The chicks should get along fine after hatching even if their hatch dates are a little different.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Thanks so much for your replies! I am feeling better already! The seller is very honest and I have no doubts at all that they were laid yesterday (they are from Bobbi Porto). These are my first high quality eggs from a very reputable breeder so I am a bit nervous not about their quality but that I will be able to hatcth them well!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Candle shipped eggs, & you may get more room. Shipping greatly increases the mortality rate. Good Luck with your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by