Will my Silkie Roo try to breed with my full size hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SiggAndChicks, Oct 16, 2013.

1. SiggAndChicks

SiggAndChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    This may sound like a silly question, but I have one Silkie Rooster and 13 full size hens of varying breeds. This Silkie was supposed to be a hen, but he's definitely a he!
    Will he try to breed with the other girls? Do I need to even worry about it?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He will try and most likely will be successful at breeding the full sized hens. Why would you worry about it?

3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

No worries, he will breed them.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Silky crosses generally make great broody hens. Extreme broody instinct from their silky blood coupled with the larger size and egg covering capacity of the full sized hens.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not only will he try, he will have the time of his life doing so! And be quite successful at it.

7. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. SiggAndChicks

SiggAndChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    Thanks. That was sort of my question. I didn't know if it was something I needed to worry about. Sounds like I don't. I guess my biggest problem will be trying to figure out who he's bred and who's eggs are who if I want to try and hatch some crosses. Not sure yet if I want to do that.
    Thanks for the input

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Silkie crosses are awesome. I really like them. Especially when they are bred with really good dual purpose birds - like Rocks...

[​IMG]
    Here is one of my Silkie x Barred Plymouth Rock girls. She is such a great mother, and even beat up a hawk trying to take her babies. Had it by the tail. She hatched 12 chicks.

[​IMG]
    Another Silkie X

[​IMG]
    Of course she has babies as well. Went broody at 22 weeks. They can fit many more eggs under them than regular silkies. She hatched 9.

[​IMG]
    Shared her brood with a full silkie though.

10. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Once he has spurs you will notice that his favorite hens will be "beat up" a little one the back of the neck (from him holding on) and at the base of the tail (from spurs).

If you spend some time out there you will notice who he likes most.

Also one mating will last several days, which means several eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by