Will my Silkie Rooster be a dad to my 5 week old incubator hatched & now in seperated coop chicks w

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dorothymcd, Jul 28, 2013.

1. dorothymcd

dorothymcd In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    I have one Silkie Rooster and 2 young chickens, one is a mille fleur d'uccle bantam
    /Silie mix pullet & the other not sure of the sex but i think its a buff Orpington (was a extra egg i got). I had a Silkie hen that hatched these 2 for me and took care of them for the last 2 and a half months but she died when I was away for 3 days (i left the wrong person in charge of them). I also hatched 14 babies over 5 weeks ago which i did not give to my silkie hen as she was not broody at the time. They have been raised by me and now are in their own pen in the chicken run for the last 2 and a half weeks.
    I was planing on allowing the babies to join the flock when I returned from my trip but now that my hen is gone I only have the silkie rooster which still continues to feed the older chickens and from what I can tell is watching the babies. Today it stormed out bad, when it slowed down i went to check on everyone. The older chicks were dry and so were the babies (their area is covered) but my Silkie dad was all wet and still close to the babies watching them instead of going in the coop where it was dry. I wish i knew if he wanted to care for them i would let them out but also scared one of the older chickens would hurt them including my rooster. Would my Silkie rooster take care of the chicks now? would he protect them from my Buff Orpington Jello? Jello seems to be the only one that would hurt the babies as i did try twice to put one out and Jello went and pecked at it but no one else seemed to care. Im not planning on keeping jello but I really want to let the babies out. Help I don't know what to do? Bill my Silkie Rooster is a very good dad to the older ones and was always real good with them even as new babies, but this batch of babies I hatched and raised so not sure how this works. He is a calm rooster and I think would make a great dad and they could use it.. I dont know what to do without risking the babies getting hurt or killed. (The babies are 9 Amearucana, 2 Silkie, 1 Polish Tolbunt and 2 Mille Fleur D'uccle).
    I need advice or help!! PLEASE!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by