Will my silly broody hen starve herself sitting on the nest???

Quote:
I've used this method with great success. I do have one career broody that is immune to this and I finally broke down and let her sit on some eggs. She is sitting right now, day 5, and doing a wonderful job.

I don't really use especially cold water(usually in the dog bucket) , I just hold them upside down by their feet, dunk them quickly two or three times and turn 'em loose. It usually changes their minds pretty quickly. I have used this alot and have only had the one aforementioned hen that will persist after doing this.

I have one who had gone broody twice and she isn't even a year old. She will sit on an empty nest. The first time I let her sit for about 2 weeks. She would get up to eat and drink and dust at least once a day.

After 2 weeks I took her out of the coop and left her in the run. My other two hens were allowed to be free in the yard with access to the coop from a side door. The broody was very upset but after 3 days I let her back in the coop and she was normal.

The next time she went broody I immediately tried the same trick but she just picked a spot in the run and sat there. I think a broody needs a few day of sitting to get some of it out of her system before trying to break her. So I left her on the empty nest for 2 weeks again and then (since the weather was bad) put her in a dog crate on our balcony. The crate was up on bricks. I left her there with food and water for 2 days and 3 nights and that 'broke' her.

Its very annoying when she is broody because the other two girls tend to like to keep her company so the coop get dirty faster. If she wasn't so cute I think she might become chicken soup. . LOL

my crazy cochin bantam hen is broody on the roost! and has been the last 2 weeks. she won't snap out of it. I even have fertile eggs for her, but she won't sit in a nest box. I'm tired of watching her go through this. best of luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom