Will my snowy mallards migrate ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Zaccurry16, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Zaccurry16

Zaccurry16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    I'm going to buy some snowy mallards in a few weeks , and i wanted to know would they fly away like regular mallards [​IMG]

Please help ! Lol

2. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Hi there, it depends on where your ducks came from. Are they domesticated (hatched in an incubator) or were they captured from the wild? I'm guessing yours were domesticated lol, I wouldn't think anyone would capture an adult duck and sell it. In all if your duck was born domestic it will not have the natural instinct to migrate because they weren't raised with a wild mallard flock. As for them flying, they are mallards which means they have the capability of flight, Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  3. Zaccurry16

Zaccurry16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi there, it depends on where your ducks came from. Are they domesticated (hatched in an incubator) or were they captured from the wild? I'm guessing yours were domesticated lol, I wouldn't think anyone would capture an adult duck and sell it. In all if your duck was born domestic it will not have the natural instinct to migrate because they weren't raised with a wild mallard flock. As for them flying, they are mallards which means they have the capability of flight, Good luck![/quote

I'm going to get them from Ideal Poultry .so I think they're domesticated .but thank you so much for answering my question it was really helpful.

4. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    You could always just clip their wings to make sure that they can't fly away.....

5. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Quote:No, they wouldn't migrate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by