Will my yard stink?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by twinkids*tripletchicks, Jul 11, 2011.

1. twinkids*tripletchicks

twinkids*tripletchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Hi,
    We have been allowing our 3 chickens to free range in our yard for the last few weeks (they are 11-12ish weeks now). We live in a city, very close to neighbors. In their coop/run, I use pine shavings, just wondering what I should be doing for my yard.
    Thanks!

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Do you have grass in the yard? If so, don't do anything with the poo, the grass will thank you for it. And that amount from 3 chickens should not be enough to stink! I have 7 hens right outside my back door, maybe 10 feet away, and I hardly ever smell it. And as they mature and begin to lay, the poops get really big:lol:

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I don't do anything in my yard and there is no odor with my 3 chickens. The sun dries up or the rain dissolves any poo that is on the ground. I sometimes pick up some large poops if I think we might step in them and track them into the house, though. I also spot clean any poo in my coop (mostly on the poop board under the roost every morning (takes about a minute) with a dustpan and scraper, so I don't have any odor or flies in the coop. So far so good for the last year! Enjoy your new chickens. [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

My dogs took care of chicken sanitation.... [​IMG]

5. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    3 hens are no problem. Enjoy watching them grow !

6. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Quote:you mean they get bigger??? [​IMG]

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

X2 what nuchickontheblock said.....

You shouldn't have any problem at all.

You might keep a handy source of kitty litter or sand or dry dirt if you do have a place that is messy that you think someone could inadverdently step in and just scoop some over the mess, or a kitty litter scoop and scoop poop into compost should it become noticable. Otherwise...it will just be fertilizer for your grass.

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    if i notice a big poop, I water it into the grass.

9. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:you mean they get bigger??? [​IMG]

I have seen some the size of golf balls, lol.

10. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Yes, we let our chooks free range, they are as happy as can be and the only time you even notice the smell is when someone accidentally steps in a pile of doo and walks it into the patio area [​IMG] By then my dad would be yelling because it'd be smeared all over the pavers... [​IMG]

But no, open space generally keeps the smell at bay. And a good lawn doesn't do any harm either!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by