1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my younger pullets molt this year?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StarLover21, Sep 20, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I have two younger pullets, one wheaten maran (who is 35 weeks and has not yet layed an egg [​IMG]), and one salmon faverolle, seventeen weeks, who is also not matured yet. Will they (fully) molt this year?

Some of my other hens are currently in molt, but they haven't shown signs of it yet.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chickens go through mini moults with some regularity, but the BIG one? Not likely. Most wait until they are around 18 months old. I think you're good for this fall.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Great, thanks! Hopefully that means they will actually start laying sooner ;)

4. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Not molting is one of the reasons why pullets can start laying in the autumn and lay all through the winter. Next year your hens will molt in August or September, and need almost two months to grow in their feathers. You'll start seeing eggs again by February. BTW, the poorest layers molt first (if all are the same age) and that was one way farmers used to know which hens to cull and which to keep through the winter. I've got a FAQ about molting - see what you're in for next year!
    http://hencam.com/faq/the-molt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by