will neighborhood cat harm my birds.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by karlamaria, Jul 19, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    will a cat harm my birds?? the darn neighbor cat will not take no for an answer and creeps into my yard now that he has sen the chickens. what can I do ?? he craps in my strayberries and then runs. now he saw my birds. will he harm them???

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    He might.

Cats are certainly big enough to kill a chicken. Most over-fed pet cats prefer not to take on anything that large, but some cats will.

Cats are a real danger to young chicks.

Perhaps one of those motion detector sprinklers for your strawberries to keep the cat out? They work well.

Electric fencing will keep the cat out of your birds. Or you can catch it and take it to the local humane society.

3. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Depends on how big your chickens are. It is very, very unusual for a cat to injure an adult standard sized chickens, perhaps a bit more likely to injure adult bantams. But consider it a sure thing if your birds are chicks.

4. Oregonchickenwoman

Oregonchickenwoman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    I can tell you that we have four cats with a lot of chickens, two of which are RIR bantys, and one of our males is a killer, hunts down wild bunnies, so yes, they might. However, our own cats seem to know their limits, others might not. If a cat is stray and hungry, and you have young hens, chicks or banty's they are vulnerable. There are coyote decoys out there you could get and put out. However, cats are smart, so move it aournd from time to time, it might kill two birds with one stone, keep that cat from your chickens and your garden.

5. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I have had 2 chickens killed by a neighbors cat, though have not found owners so maybe a stray.
    I am putting up hotwire along the top of the 6ft wooden fence to try to keep him out of my yard.
    I have dogs, but they do not stay in the yard on guard duty. They prefer to come in the house and have a dog door. One chicken was killed while we were all home but not in the yard. One when dogs were gone as well.
    Yes, cats can kill your chickens
    one was smallish chicken but one was a full grown lavender orpington, not a small breed
    good luck

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    BB gun

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    No the cat PROBABLY will not hurt your birds,but it will probably annoy you a lot.I would trap it and let your neighbor pay the fine to get it from AC.After a few times they may build a cat run or keep it inside.I can't stand roaming cats and get rid of any that come to my yard.

8. Oregonchickenwoman

Oregonchickenwoman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Mattemma, just as annoying is someones roaming dog that breaks into your yard, bites at your kids hands (she was trying to stop the killing spree) and kills your chickens....happened to us, and the owners never had to pay for damages and never even apologized, the county let them off scott free. We are now out in the country, and still have more roaming dogs than cats, and they are much more of an issue for our hens safety, plus not only will leave open droppings in your yard, but could be nippy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by