will new adult cats attack hens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by countrygirl57, Jul 21, 2011.

1. countrygirl57

countrygirl57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    WE are getting 2 female cats to cut down on rat problem. DO cats bother with hens?

2. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    We have cats that live in the barn with the chickens. They are adults that people have driven to the country and dropped off, so I don't know their history. They do fine with our standard size chickens and the few banties we have, but have caught the chicks before.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    My advice is to carry each cat over to introduce to your most assertive hen, and let the hen give 'em a good swift peck in the direction of the cats face. The cat will never want to bother a chicken again.

(This is what happened between my cats and chickens, although I didn't plan it that way.)

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always heard that a full grown chicken will put the smack down on a cat and if you have a rooster then they will do an even better job.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have 2 male bengal mixes (they are big, one weighs 19 lbs and the other 22!!!). My flock does not tolerate the cats in their space. Its kind of funny to see the hens chase them across the yard, but they are a couple of regular, grade A puddin's. They have snagged a couple of unlucky chicks, but they don't mess with chicks that have a broody mama looking out for them. My neighbor has 13 (yes 13, she's a crazy cat lady [​IMG] ) and I've never had any problems with them either. Your kitties will probably be fine, just keep an eye on them at first. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by