Will new chicks induce nesting behaviors?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justthemomforthejob, May 16, 2011.

1. justthemomforthejob

justthemomforthejob New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Hello all, I am new to the group and new to raising chickens.

We have 4 adult hens, 1 adult rooster and 25 chicks. The chicks were purchased and are not the offspring of our adults. They are in the same coop, but babies are separated from the adults by a special pen. Anyway....since adding the babies to the coop, my hens are acting SOOO different. None of them would EVER sit on their eggs but now I *think* one of them is getting broody. Time will tell I suppose. The other three sit around on nothing all day....sitting like they are broody but they do get up and move around. They've never acted like this before. Even the crazy rooster is doing the same thing. Will babies in the coop make the hens start acting "motherly"??

And about that rooster.....he certainly does NOT act like a rooster...he acts just like a hen! He's a year old so plenty old enough to know what he is supposed to do - but he doesn't do it. He doesn't "protect" the ladies....he doesn't wait to eat until they are done...he doesn't mount....none of the eggs are fertile. About the only thing he does like a rooster is crow. ???????

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Well hi, [​IMG]

What kind of hens are they? If they're prone to broodiness, it will spread like wildfire though the coop! Usually, anyway. Once a hen really goes broody, you will know. Some have to practice a bit, but when she fluffs up, growls and tries to remove your arm, she's serious. I can't say it's always true, but when I have chicks around it does seem to stimulate the broody tendencies in them.

I'm a bit concerned that your rooster is doing it, too. So I would recommend checking them all carefully, to make sure there aren't mitigating circumstances, like lice, mites, worms. I have a rooster who was a very late bloomer, and he's not very good as a flock protector. He's a self centered little jerk. I'm giving him a little more time though, some are just slow to develop.

One of the best "tools" for raising chickens? A lawn chair. Just go sit and observe everything from how they act and on down to checking the poop. Watch how they interact. I highly recommed a cold drink for this chore.

It sounds like you have a very good grasp on things, best of broody luck and keep updating this thread. [​IMG]

3. justthemomforthejob

justthemomforthejob New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Thanks for the reply.

The hens.....two are RIRs....two of them are...."I have no ideas"...I am THAT new to chickens. One of them is white and lays brown eggs. The other is black with red speckles and she lays brown eggs as well. A tendency towards broodiness is the reason I got the Buff Orps....I would also like to acquire a couple of Silkies as I have heard they are excellent brooders. Too bad man has bred out the natural instinct in chickens to have babies...duh, that's what they were designed to do.

Have checked the crew....no lice, mites or worms. All are very healthy inside and out from all appearances. My roo just seems to follow my hens around like he is a puppet on their string. Whatever they do...he does. I do like your recommendation of the best "tool" for raising chickens and the lawn chair might be a lot more comfortable than my current "tool" of that nature which is a big old log. [​IMG]

The black and red speckled hen is on that nest every time I check now but she does hop off for a few minutes to eat. I was under the assumption that if she is broody, she won't leave the nest for love nor money. ????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by