Will new chicks lay in winter????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hippie Chicks Mom, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    I have 3 new chicks born just before Memorial Day. They will be 7 months old in December, will they lay in the winter when the days are so much shorter? Will I have to wait til spring???

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    they will probably start laying

be sure to have them on a high % layer feed and plenty of water and ventilation. Also depends on what breeds they are. Some chickens stop laying when it is cold. I know my RIRs mostly all stopped but my BRs layed all winter long.

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    My pullets (almost the same age as yours) laid all winter. The only extra light I gave them was a heat lamp for several hours in the early morning. I have about 10 different breeds. What breed are yours? That may make a difference. Some lay well thru winters, some don't. You can set them up with a light to mimic longer days; however, they will not get a 'rest' and may peter out sooner.

4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    My chickens layed like crazy their first winter with no extra light added. They were hatched on or about May 22nd of 09. I got my first egg in September and they never stopped. The second winter however production dropped as expected.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Last winter were the girls first and averaged about 6 a day from ten hens and that was in the dead of winter. Up until late Dec was 7/8 a day and by mid Feb they were right back at it. there was 6 wk slow down but no stoppage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by