Will new ducks fight with the old ones?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DunnoWhatImDoin, Apr 9, 2017.

1. DunnoWhatImDoin

DunnoWhatImDoin Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    I have three call ducks, I might have two khaki campbells coming this weekend. When I introduce new chickens toy flock there's always fights, will ducks be the same or are they more relaxed about things?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's best to let them meet side by side in separate enclosures for a few days to a week so everyone gets use to each other. Then when you have time let them all out together while handing out treats this will get them use to being together also.

3. Niche Flock

Niche Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    @DunnoWhatImDoin
    Hello, I agree with Miss Lydia, it is probably best to introduce them slowly. I would keep the new ones behind a fence for awhile so that they can see and hear each other for a week or more. Ducks like chickens, have to assume a pecking order, I have only raised ducks so I can't speak on any experience about chickens. After I introduced my 9 runner ducks to my two older ducks, the older ducks herded and bossed the younger ones a bit, but after awhile, the younger ones stuck together and the older ladies did their own thing. Later, my drakes became a problem for the ducks and were rehomed to my friend.
    After you introduce your new ducks to your flock, give them time to adjust and try not to interfere with their social hierarchy too much. Of there is excessive aggression you may want to intervene, but for the most part you have to let them work it out amongst themselves. Good luck!

Hotchickenmomma and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by