will noise bother them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redstar, Nov 3, 2007.

1. redstar

redstar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2007
    central new york
    we have a chicken coop/dog kennel attached, we have 4 beagles (we raise them) now when they get barking.does that bother the hens from laying, someone said they like it quiet to lay, is that why they stopped?[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Anything that gets them upset can stop them from laying, but sometimes they go through highs and lows in laying cycles also.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I think it really depends on what the chickens are used to. If chickens are stressed they will quit laying. My chickens hear my truck cranking and running in the yard all the time. My exhaust will scare small children but the chickens don't seem to mind. When the city ran the sewer through the yard with an excavator running right next to my coop they kept right on laying. It was so loud I could not sleep. When I moved them to a much bigger coop they did not lay for about 2 weeks.

I think most hens drop off this time of year anyway. Shorter periods of daylight.

4. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    My hens completely ignore my dog, who is a Jack Russell and has been highly annoying since he met my roo and was knocked down the dominance ladder [​IMG] He wasn't bad until I took him out on the leash and Captain Jack told him who was boss, causing the dog to basically tuck tail and run.

Now if the chickens are locked in the run, he's right up there barking like crazy and standing off to the rooster, but again, the hens just completely ignore him. I think it's mostly because they've had him barking since they were a day old and are maybe used to it? I've not had any drop off in egg production at all.

5. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I own a dog boarding kennel and have anywhere from 15 to 38 dogs at all times. The chickens will scratch around on the other side of the privacy fence from the dog yard and they've never had a problem with the barking affecting their rate of lay. They've been around the kennel their entire lives and just ignore it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by