Will Not Help... will not help... help me not help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cozycritters, Jan 10, 2011.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Of all the marans eggs I set only one has been in action starting yesterday (a day late) it pipped and started to zip... and stopped. I can still see it move and wiggle and it will peep to me, but it doesn't seem to be trying at all.

I just had to cull a chick that I assisted that ended up with no use of its legs. [​IMG] My little boys cannot handle another tragedy like that right now.

I need to not interfere, I know this...

But it is SO HARD![​IMG]

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I wouldnt help, if it dies it was ment to be.... I once opened a pekin egg and was rewarded with a partially blind special needs hen. Sounds like your chicky is just resting.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Once it's pipped, it can take 24 hours to fully zip. It's hard to wait, i know, but helping too soon can be damaging. That being said, i have helped many a chick (and duck) out of their shell. But you want to give them a chance to do it themselves.

Good luck! Hope the little guy makes it.

4. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I took one of my older chicks and held it over the incubator so that it could hear it was not alone... it seemed really encouraged and started moving around again [​IMG] The older chick (a week old) kept looking around like, "where on EARTH is that coming from?"

5. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no help... I have helped... and they did fine for me...
    can you update us later and tell us what happened?
    I think the Marans sometimes have a hard time with that thick shell...

6. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    So far, no progress. Has been pipped and partially zipped for over 24 hours.[​IMG]

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Calm down![​IMG] I once helped a chick hatch... well, thought I was helping, and got a chick which hadn't fully absorbed the yolk. I waited a bit longer, and it managed to get the rest out itself but is a tiny chick which is noticeably weaker than its other 9 siblings... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by