Will Not Help... will not help... help me not help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cozycritters, Jan 10, 2011.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Of all the marans eggs I set only one has been in action starting yesterday (a day late) it pipped and started to zip... and stopped. I can still see it move and wiggle and it will peep to me, but it doesn't seem to be trying at all.

I just had to cull a chick that I assisted that ended up with no use of its legs. [​IMG] My little boys cannot handle another tragedy like that right now.

I need to not interfere, I know this...

But it is SO HARD![​IMG]

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I wouldnt help, if it dies it was ment to be.... I once opened a pekin egg and was rewarded with a partially blind special needs hen. Sounds like your chicky is just resting.

3. Once it's pipped, it can take 24 hours to fully zip. It's hard to wait, i know, but helping too soon can be damaging. That being said, i have helped many a chick (and duck) out of their shell. But you want to give them a chance to do it themselves.

Good luck! Hope the little guy makes it.

4. cozycritters

cozycritters Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I took one of my older chicks and held it over the incubator so that it could hear it was not alone... it seemed really encouraged and started moving around again [​IMG] The older chick (a week old) kept looking around like, "where on EARTH is that coming from?"

5. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Songster

I'm no help... I have helped... and they did fine for me...
    can you update us later and tell us what happened?
    I think the Marans sometimes have a hard time with that thick shell...

6. cozycritters

cozycritters Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    So far, no progress. Has been pipped and partially zipped for over 24 hours.[​IMG]

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Songster

Oct 9, 2010
    Calm down![​IMG] I once helped a chick hatch... well, thought I was helping, and got a chick which hadn't fully absorbed the yolk. I waited a bit longer, and it managed to get the rest out itself but is a tiny chick which is noticeably weaker than its other 9 siblings... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by