Will older hens let the younger ones in nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Leigti, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Right now I have a total of 12 chickens. Six of them Arlene, three more should start within the month, and three more should start in about five months. I have two large nesting boxes in the coop and one box outside in the yard where they free range. One of the chickens seems to prefer that one.
    My question is, will the older chickens let the younger ones into the nest boxes to lay eggs? They seem to chase them off when it comes to food etc. I'm afraid they won't let them in to lay the eggs. Any suggestions?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    They are likely to kick the younger ones out of the nest boxes when they want to lay, yes. The younger ones will likely hang around until a nest box is free and then lay, but do keep an eye out for the odd egg outside the coop as this can be quite common for new layers.

CT

3. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    OK thanks. Should I add another nest box in the coop? I also have one outside because one of the chickens likes to lay there.
    Also, I'm in the process of building a larger run, 10' x 20'. Should I just keep all the chickens in the run for a while so that the new ones when they start laying will go to the nest boxes? I really don't want them laying eggs in the yard if I can help it, I am almost blind and it is very hard to find those eggs in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by