Will older rooster kill baby rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Taniam, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Taniam

Taniam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    We have a 2 month old rooster. What will happen if we put it with the rest of our chickens? Its a white leghorn and we have a buff Orpington Rooster who is about 2 years old (he has 3 hens he looks after). If we put the little one out with them will the Orpington kill the leghorn? I dont want to get rid of the leghorn. He is our first chick that we successfully hatched. I dont want him to die though.

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    he may attempt to kill the other rooster as he will be in protective instinct

males will usually always fight and younger roos will loose

3. LeslieB

LeslieB New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    Rodanthe, NC
    I ended up with 7 bantam roosters in a mail order and introduced them to my massive Rhode Island Red Rooster at 18 weeks. He pays no attention to them whatsover. Also have 7 standard hens and 11 bantams hens. My ratios are all off, but they all get along fine. They are free range during the day (which I suspect is why it works) and locked up tight together at night. Just try to introduce them with a barrier for a couple of days, then put them together with some interesting treats to distract them. Keep an eye on them and base your decision on their interaction. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by