Will one bronze turkey be cool with the rest of the chickens??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RASTACHICKI, Mar 20, 2012.

1. RASTACHICKI

RASTACHICKI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    Been a while since i posted but i'm back!! PEKOK!! Had a coon get in my coop about a year ago and killed 8 of my full grown chickens!! What an awful day! Anyway i had 2 barred rocks and 2 cukoo marans left and decided they needed company. Got 3 amercauna's, 1 silver grey dorking, 1 buckeye, 1 salmon favorellla and one bronze turkey, but was curious as if anyone else has a turkey living amongst the chickens and if they have any problems at all with them co-mingling. I figured since it was a chick raised among chicks that it might be cool! Any comments or considerations??

Thanks

2. tinzman8

tinzman8 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I have 1 tom and 2 hen bronzes mixed in with my 16 chickens. I have never had a problem with them getting along...They were raised up together since they were chicks.

3. RASTACHICKI

Aug 8, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    awesome!! I figured they would be fine but Turkeys are new to me!! Thanks for the input!! i love this site!!

4. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I hate to bring it up.....But I keep hearing BlackHead disease. I want Turkeys myself, and I really dont want to build a seperate living quarters,but i keep hearing different stories.
    One thread will contain nothing but people saying, "it'll never work, they're all gonna die" Than other threads is nothing but people saying. " I've had turkeys living with chickens all my life and never had a sick bird".
    Kind of confusing really. Ive even tried to find information on what states have the most or least cases of this disease but cant find information that detailed.

5. tinzman8

tinzman8 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Yeah everyone seems to have a different opinion on this, Ive had my turkeys and chickens mixed for over 2 years and i've never lost a bird to disease (knock on wood)

6. RASTACHICKI

Aug 8, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    I am going to give it a try and if they all die, i will get more!! I can get like a dozen new birds for about 20 bucks! Not sweating it!! everything is replaceable!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by