Will one broody cause more broodys?

Phoenix Farms

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Illinois
I have had three Phoenix hens go broody. The first one went broody back in late October and hatched chicks. About two weeks later another hen went broody in early November. Another went broody late November when the second one was still sitting (we were still trying to break her). We gave those two eggs and they have 4 week old chicks now. I'm just wondering if my first broody hen encouraged the others to go broody?

I read on here that the broody mom releases a hormone and it can cause others to go broody. Almost like when your in a house with women and you all seem to get your period around the same time.I've got four broody hens right now.
barnie.gif

It always seems to work this way at my house! Last summer I had one hen go broody, then 6 others followed suit :eek: I sell chicks that time of year so I let them hatch, but gosh it was chaos! Then, a couple of weeks ago one of my Silkies went broody. I gave her a few eggs and put her in the in-coop brooding cage. A couple of days later another one had been bitten by the broody bug. Nope, sorry, not doing the multiple sitters again. She lays her egg everyday and then gets kicked out of the coop with everyone else. She puffs, growls and bites me everytime I put her out, which just makes me more determined to kick her fluff butt outside. And yes :barnie Wait for warm weather crazy girls!!!!
Nikki

Last edited:
I don't know for certain what inspires hens to go broody. Chickens in general tend to be fashion-followers rather than trend-setters, so broodiness may be "contagious". Hens seem especially attracted to the sight of a broody hen and often will want to lay their eggs in her nest, whether or not she is still in it.

It could just be that the same external factors -- light, weather, the little voices only they can hear in their heads, signals from the Mother Ship orbiting overhead -- are affecting more than one hen in the same way, inspiring them all to go broody.

I do always move my broodies to their own private quarters so they can set undisturbed by the others. This time of year seems the most popular for my hens to brood (warm already in South Fla) and very convenient since it's also my geese's laying season. I have my broody hens hatch goose eggs for me. Even the little bantams are able to incubate at least one goose egg!

Back
Top Bottom