Will one pullet use the same nest- or switch nests?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick4chix, Sep 21, 2009.

1. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I got my first egg 12 days ago and have had 9 eggs total since then. 6 pullets with 2 nest boxes on either end of a chicken ark.
    The first 4 eggs went in one nest box... then the 5th egg went into the far nest box, so I thought I had a 2nd girl laying but still only one egg that day. 6 eggs in one box and 3 eggs in the other.
    So my question is... will a chicken lay in more than one nest ( I thought they had a favorite) or do I have two layers that are alternating days and nests while still getting less than one egg a day? thanks- BYC rocks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Most of my hens have a favorite nestbox they go to each time. However, if someone is in their favorite nest some of them will go to another nest and some of them will scream their heads off till the hen that's occupying it moves.
    A few of mine don't care which nest they use.

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    My chickens all seem to like the same nest. However each day it may be a different nest.

Usually they lay in the same one for a few weeks then for some reason switch to a different one. Maybe the weather, the daylight or who knows. [​IMG]

4. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    thanks- it sounds like I just have the one layer and she's switching it up for variety-ha. I looked at my EE's really closely today and I could see their wattles sticking out from behind their muffs and their combs are getting red- Must be getting close now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by