Will or can ducklings drown themselves playing in water?

RoboDuck

Songster
5 Years
I had my Cayuga and 4 mystery ducklings (TSC said they were pekins but we don't think so) playing in the bathtub. I had just enough water in the tub that they could swim. They are about a month old now. They are just barely showing signs of feather growth. I stayed with them since they're not feathered and made sure they could actually stand up if they really had to. The mystery ducks actually dove under the water and swam around. It was quite funny to watch. Anyhow, one of the mystery ducks got carried away in his excitement. Next thing I knew, he was coughing water up out of his mouth and nostrils. He recovered his breathing but it was obvious he still had a lot of water in him. I turned him upside down and squeezed the "water balloon" looking area and more water came out. I let him catch his breath again and tried one more time but no more water came out. He still had the squishy area so I know there was more water but he seemed ok so I let him go play. So to avoid boring you further, is it possible for young ducks to drown themselves by playing in water? He didn't go down due to still being covered in down instead of feathers, he ingested the water while vigorously playing.

Ducks can drown. Like you said you had it deep enough for them to stand in and that's the main thing. When they are young you want the water to be room temp not too cold they will go in shock. Nothing more fun than watching ducklings swim, dive, and splash around.

Yeah we had to rescue one a couple of weeks ago when they were younger. The down gets water logged and they sink. They swim like a chicken if you will. But this one was playing and just got carried away and started swallowing water too fast. I thought for sure I'd lost it with all the water coming out of its nose but it recovered quickly and went back to playing with the others. I don't know how it could do this just playing when they were doing so well actually swimming under water.

Now to add onto the questioning here.... As I said before TSC swore they were Pekins. They do not look like our other Pekin ducklings. These were born right at a month ago and you can now see a little bit of coloring starting around their eyes. One has a pinkish bill and not yellow like pekins. Could these be scovy ducklings? How long before we can tell for sure with them?

Yeah we had to rescue one a couple of weeks ago when they were younger. The down gets water logged and they sink. They swim like a chicken if you will. But this one was playing and just got carried away and started swallowing water too fast. I thought for sure I'd lost it with all the water coming out of its nose but it recovered quickly and went back to playing with the others. I don't know how it could do this just playing when they were doing so well actually swimming under water.

Now to add onto the questioning here.... As I said before TSC swore they were Pekins. They do not look like our other Pekin ducklings. These were born right at a month ago and you can now see a little bit of coloring starting around their eyes. One has a pinkish bill and not yellow like pekins. Could these be scovy ducklings? How long before we can tell for sure with them?
I don't think I have ever heard of TSC selling Muscovy's, can you post some pics?.

Back
Top Bottom