1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will Other chickens peck and kill a mothers chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EilighsFarm, Feb 25, 2015.

1. EilighsFarm

EilighsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2014
    I can't find an answer to this question anywhere. I have my very first broody hen. She has hatched 2 chicks so far. I have a couple questions actually. How long will she stay in the nest box with her chicks? When she wants to leave the nesting box with her chicks it is up high enough that I think the chicks will get hurt trying to leave the nest box. Can this happen? If so what should I do? How will she feed her chicks? I have food available to them 24/7. Although it's not pellets it is crumble (not medicated). Can she feed them regular non medicated crumble? Also, the water situation. I have some bowls outside for my ducks to use as water, the other chickens use it too. Will the chicks drown in the water? And, finally when she leaves the nest box with her chicks will the other chicks/ducks/roosters peck her babies and kill them? I would feel better putting them in their own coop but, I don't have supplies. If I put them in a dog crate the babies are serama chicks so they will walk right through the dog crate. Also, the mom will not like it because, her other hens and rooster that she came into the flock with, she will cry for them. Am I paranoid? Im super worried. Thanks!

2. Rusty Duck

Rusty Duck New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    Amador County, California
    Hi! Will offer what I have learned by trial, error, & lots of Google...
    I move my hens with newly hatched chicks to the floor of the henhouse (mine is large with a plywood floor). I use a large pet carrier with the door removed & 'fence' it with a flattened, sturdy cardboard box along the side (carrier in corner of coop). I fill the area with clean bedding (I like pine shavings) & give them their own crumbles - preferably starter feed, ok if mom eats that too. I also add a chick waterer with marbles added to the dish so they don't drown. I don't close them off completely so the hen can get out & lead her chicks when ready. I've not had a problem with other hens pecking the chicks, as a mother hen is very protective & chases curious hens away from her chicks. It's pretty amazing watching a hen raise her own... So much easier than dealing with heatlamps, etc.
    Best wishes for success with your new chicken family!

3. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC

4. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    Thankyou so much! Very helpful:)

5. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    Thankyou a lot! Very helpful:)

6. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    One last thing, will she leave the eggs/chicks if I move her onto the coop floor in of course a nesting box?

7. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    That really is up to her. Some hens do, some don't. You will have folks that will say both. It most likely will be determined by just how far off of the ground the original nest is. A good chicken momma will likely see what is best for the chicks. If the nest isn't too far off, she may encourage them to jump and you'll be surprised at just how fast they can do just that.

8. Rusty Duck

Rusty Duck New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    Amador County, California
    She has to feel she has a safe place to protect her chicks. If the new nest gives the hen a sense of security, she should be fine. This was the reason I used the pet carrier, mom & chicks felt safe & cozy.

9. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    ok. I moved her into a new nest box. She seems fine. She also adopted one of my chicks that I kept in a brooder? Will the chick that she adopted starve since it already has food/water in its system and mother hen hasn't left the nest yet.

10. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    I used the pet carrier! Great idea. Also, she adopted one of my chicks that I ordered online. Since the chick she adopted has already has food/water and mother hen hasn't left the nest, will the chick starve?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by