will other hens & roo peck at chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smokeyodie97, Jul 27, 2010.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    I have a BLW sitting on egg when they hatch wil the other hens & roo peck at the chicks?

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Many times the answer is yes. It is sad but true, that is why so many folk separate their broody hens frm the rest of the flock. However if the flock dynamics are good you could have the opposite happen! I've hard of great flocks where they all share caretaking duties.
    If it were me, I would leave them in with the flock since you need to know if you have a good group or not. If there are problems you can always move the trouble makers out and then you would have a great flock for future chicks!

3. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    I had expected that by now you'd have a heap of posts saying 'Yes - they'll peck them to death. separate them NOW'.

We free range and when our maternity unit (for four hens & chicks) is full the other hens just have to make do with the main coop (or outside the coop sometimes!). The ones in the maternity unit are separated from other chickens, but not from each other and the broody hen don't peck each others chicks.

The ones who are forced to hatch in the main coop also do not experience pecking from other hens or cockerels, the main problem with having them brood in the main coop is that the young cockerels sometimes bother them on the nest. After hatching though a mother with chicks is not to be messed with !

We have Japanese Bantams, that might make a difference. Other breeds are perhaps not so tolerant.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, there ya see, everyone has a different experience. I`ve had hens attack new chicks and the mother hen not be up to protecting them. Also, cockerals are as rough as hens on the little guys. The exception is that mature cocks are very tolerant and even like the youngstersin every instance in my yard. I`m sure there must be exceptions. Best thing to do is observe and be sure things are going smoothly. Good luck.........Pop

5. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Ok i might go out there every hour to check on the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by